PARENTING TIPS & TOPICS: STRATEGIES and TECHNIQUES
MONTHLY TOPIC: BACK TO SCHOOL
- One to two weeks before school starts, have your child go to bed near the time they will when school starts.
o This will get them used to this bedtime.
o Keep in mind that children need 8-10 hours of sleep.
o Turning off electronic devices an hour before bed can make it easier to fall asleep.
- Prepare your child ahead of time for what the school day will be like. For example, telling them step-by-step what to expect:
o We will have breakfast at home (or at school); you will be riding the bus (or will be driven by parent); there will be learning time then you will have lunch/playtime; you will go to aftercare at your school.
- Set some guidelines for your child’s morning routine. Many families find it helpful to keep the TV and electronic devices off until the child is dressed, eaten, teeth brushed, and has supplies ready. Then screen time can be a motivating reward.
- Preparing clothes and school supplies/book bags the night before can make the morning time run more smoothly.
- Creating a place in your house for each child to do homework can make this transition easier.
- Having a schedule or routine when the children come home from school is important. This should include snack time, short break, and a place set up for where they will do homework.
- Finally, considering creating a special way for your family to celebrate the end of summer AND the beginning of the new school year. Some examples may include: having a play date; family cookout; pool time; or movie night.
LINK TO MORE IDEAS: