MONTHLY TOPIC: ‘TIS THE SEASON
IMPORTANT POINTS: The holidays are a wonderful time to be with loved ones and to enjoy family traditions. With relatives visiting, possible travel, breaks from school and therapies, and other changes to the everyday routine, this time of year can also become taxing and overwhelming for everyone, including children with special needs and their families. Here are a few tips to lessen the stress during the holiday season.
- Use picture schedules and calendars to show your child what the day to day plans will be.
- Continue to use positive behavior strategies, such as sticker charts or a token system. Reward appropriate behavior and provide consequences for disruptive issues. BE CONSISTENT!
- Stick to typical bedtimes and evening time routines when possible.
- Try to avoid over-booking the day and schedule. Pick the best activities for you and your family.
- Plan for free or quiet time during the day and stick to the nap schedule if you child still naps.
LINK TO MORE IDEAS: